Welcoming Our Ukrainian Neighbors
Hello Neighbor has a Ukraine hotline for those seeking assistance.
Please call 412-567-3946, extension 706.
On April 21, 2022, President Biden introduced Uniting for Ukraine, which provides a pathway for Ukrainian citizens and their immediate family members to come to the United States and stay temporarily in a two year period of parole. So far, the U.S. has welcomed over 100,000 Ukrainian citizens through the following pathways:
|Temporary Immigrant Visas
|Private Sponsorship Program
|U.S - Mexico Border (Asylum Seekers)
|More than 22,000
|Traditional refugee system
Ukrainian Refugee Approval ProcessThe most unique part of the Ukrainian refugee process is private sponsorship through Uniting for Ukraine called Sponsor Circles. Ukrainians with a U.S.-based sponsor may receive temporary status in the U.S. for two years as a Ukrainian Humanitarian Parolee (UHP). UHPs have protected status, so they can live and work in the U.S. Unless another law is passed, UHPs must apply for and win asylum to receive legal permanent residence.
Hello Neighbor can only access Ukrainian Humanitarian Parolees (UHP) clients through referrals. That’s where YOU and the broader Pittsburgh community come in!
Do you know a Ukrainian refugee in Pittsburgh? Complete our referral form.
Make A Difference
- Spread the word - the only way Hello Neighbor is able to support Ukrainian refugees is through referrals. Make a referral.
- Become a Supporter through Uniting for Ukraine - If you are interested in learning more about sponsoring a Ukrainian individual or family, the Uniting for Ukraine website has all of the information you need to apply.
- Become a volunteer with Hello Neighbor - we have a variety of volunteer opportunities, both short and long term with varying levels of commitment.
- Donate - This is a way to directly support our new neighbors and make Pittsburgh a place we’re all proud to call home!
- Community Co-Sponsorship is where community groups provide material and social support to resettle a refugee family with support from Hello Neighbor Staff. We are currently seeking three pilot groups of 5-15 people for a 6-month commitment. Email email@example.com to learn more!
- Ukrainian Refugees in the United States, Migration Policy Institute, June 2022
This article from MPI provides a full data breakdown of Ukrainian resettlement in the United States
- The Global Ukrainian Refugee Situation, UNHCR, updated weekly
UNHCR provides a live, interactive map showing how refugees and migrants from Ukraine have moved across Europe.
- Avoiding Uniting for Ukraine Scams, CNN, August 2022
This article brings awareness to a recently reported scam that is targeting sponsors who are trying to help Ukrainians come to the United States.